On June 1, 2023, Wes Underwood, 13, his family, and the Bahamas National Spelling Bee Delegation paid a courtesy call on Ambassador Wendall K. Jones, The Bahamas Ambassador to the United States.
Wes was in Washington, D.C., attending the 95th Scripps National Spelling Bee Competition held at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center in National Harbor, Maryland.
Wes, an 8th grade student at Samuel Guy II Pinder All-Age School (SGPAAS), in Spanish Wells, Eleuthera, was the champion of the 26th Annual Bahamas National Spelling Bee Competition (BNSB).
Wes was accompanied by his family; his father and mother, Yancy and Natalia Underwood, grandmother Marcia Underwood; and brother, Blaine Underwood and his Coach and Social Sciences Teacher, Bevil Clarke, at Samuel Guy ll Age School. Other members of the delegation included:
– Cylestina Williams (Chairperson- BNSB & National Spelling Bee Coordinator of MOE)
– Patrinella Rolle (Asst. Chairperson- BNSB / Retired ADE of Education)
– Trevor Nicola McKay (Asst. Treasurer / Retired Principal)
– Demetria Rolle (BNSB Pronouncer/ Education Officer MOE)
– Francina Beneby (BNSB Asst. Secretary/ BPL Legal Secretary)
During the courtesy call, Wes expressed his interests in piano, basketball, and video game. He hopes to “pursue music and whatever else God leads [him] to do”.
“This has truly been an honour to represent The Bahamas at the Scripps National Spelling Bee”, Wes said.